Dad died after catching stomach bug on holiday in Cyprus with his family

The couple were on a family holiday with their grown-up children, Ellen, 33, and Matthew, 26, when Colin became unwell with a stomach bug.

Colin returned home to Swaffham, Norfolk, with Ellen and Matthew, while Sue stayed out in Cyprus for a bit longer with her mum, Ann, 83.

At home, Colin – still feeling unwell – went to the doctors who referred him to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn, Norfolk.

Told he had an infection of campylobacter, Colin reassured his wife that she didn’t need to come home to look after him.

Campylobacter, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says, is caused by eating raw or undercooked poultry, seafood, and untreated water.

READ MORE Mum details her first signs of blood cancer that GP initially dismissed

People who have campylobacter usually have bloody diarrhoea, fever and stomach cramps.

The illness might be accompanied by a feeling of nausea and diarrhoea, which can last for up to a week.

“Most people recover from campylobacter infection without antibiotic treatment,” the CDC says.

“Some people with, or at risk for, severe illness might need antibiotic treatment.”

Don’t miss…
The first symptom of testicular cancer that can appear for some men[SYMPTOMS]
The fruit shown to improve heart and brain health – just two servings a day[STUDY]
France travel warning – tourists to be wary after outbreak of deadly infection[LATEST]

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

While Sue had caught the bug too, she went into “complete shock” when her children rang her up and gave her grave news.

“My kids rang me and said, ‘I have got terrible news – I found dad dead in bed.’ I absolutely screamed. I went into complete shock.”

Sue shared: “I never got to say goodbye. It’s heartbreaking.”

A retired medical practitioner herself, Sue had alarm bells ringing when she saw the pathologist report.

Colin was treated by a junior doctor who had prescribed half the usual dose recommended to prevent blood clots.

Colin had died from a pulmonary embolism, caused by a travelling blood clot, only four days after leaving the hospital on October 29, 2022.

Following an inquest into Colin’s death, coroner Yvonne Blake stated: “It is the consultant doctor’s responsibility to check what their junior, unsupervised doctors do at the weekend when a patient is admitted.

“Consultants did not ever speak to this junior doctor about the misprescribing or know what action – if any – had been taken about it.”

Govindan Raghuraman, acting medical director at the QEH, said: “On behalf of the Trust, I reiterate our sincere condolences to Mr Greenway’s family.

“We have reviewed Mr Greenway’s care in great detail and have carried out an internal investigation.

“The trust is developing an individualised action plan as a result of Mr Greenway’s inquest.

“Specific actions are being developed to address the coroner’s concerns.

“We will formally update the coroner on the progress as soon as actions are finalised, who will, in turn, update Mr Greenway’s family.”

Source: Read Full Article