Endometriosis: The lesser-known symptoms found in your urine and bowel movements

Endometriosis: Dr Larisa Corda discusses symptoms on This Morning

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Endometriosis is a long-term condition where tissue similar to the lining of the womb grows in other places, such as the ovaries and fallopian tubes. Left untreated the condition could cause infertility. There are lesser-known warning signs found in your urine or bowel movements every woman should be aware of.

Pelvic pain is the most common symptom pertaining to endometriosis.

This pain has been described as cyclic, worsening during menstrual periods, or can occur with activity such as sexual intercourse.

Other common signs include infertility and ovarian cysts known as endometriomas, or “chocolate” cysts.

For many women, however, there may be no symptoms warning of endometriosis.

A reason for this could be due to the fact that menstrual blood exits through the fallopian tubes and into the pelvis causing inflammatory and immunologic responses.

When it comes to lesser-known symptoms of endometriosis, changes during urination or bowel movements could be signs, according to Texas Pavilion Hospital.

Urine symptoms include:


Increased frequency

Bowel symptoms include:



Other lesser-known signs of endometriosis for women to be aware of is back pain, abnormal uterine bleeding, chest pain or difficulty breathing.

Endometriosis is sometimes mistaken for other conditions that can cause pelvic pain, such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) or ovarian cysts.

It may be confused with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a condition that causes bouts of diarrhoea, constipation and abdominal cramping.

IBS can accompany endometriosis, which can complicate the diagnosis.


It can be difficult to diagnose endometriosis because the symptoms can vary considerably, and many other conditions can cause similar symptoms.

A GP will ask about your symptoms and may ask to examine your tummy and vagina.

They may recommend treatments if they think you have endometriosis.

A specialist may be referred such as a gynaecologist for some further tests, such as an ultrasound scan or laparoscopy.
Source: Read Full Article