Record number of IVF births
Key stats from the 2021 report
- 111,253 ART treatment cycles were performed in Australian and New Zealand ART Units in 2021 (102,157 and 9,096, respectively), representing an overall increase of 16.3% from 2020.
- Of the 111,253 initiated ART cycles, 20,690 babies were born. Of these, 18,594 (89.9%) were from treatments performed in Australian ART Units, and 2,096 (10.1%) were from New Zealand ART Units.
- Of the 108,273 autologous and recipient cycles, 11.9% were undertaken by single female and 4.1% by female-female intending parents.
- The proportion of births that were twins or triplets was 3%.
- Women used their own eggs or embryos in nearly 95% of cycles in 2021; 62.3% were fresh cycles, and 37.7% were thaw cycles.
- Over a third (37.1%) of women who commenced ART in 2018 or 2019 achieved a live birth in their first ART cycle. After three complete ART cycles, women had between 53.6% and 63% chance of achieving a live birth.
- There were 5881 fertility preservation cycles performed in 2021, representing an increase of 61.5% from 2020.
Source: Read Full Article